Friday, June 20, 2008

Atair 2600 Emulator Hands-on Assignment

For our hands on assignment for the week I choose to use the Atari 2600 emulator instead of the MAME program because MAME was way too confusing. The ROMs I got for the emulator were Pong and BMX Air Master. I could not figure out the BMX game controls, but it was just a biker in a half-pipe. Was it fun? I could not tell you, but I’m sure it could’ve held my attention for ten minutes had I figured it out. Pong worked though, and what a time it was. The colors and the game structure are so simple, but make for such an enjoyable experience. Surprisingly I sucked at the game. I think most of it had to do with the difference between an actual Atari controller and a keyboard, but I’ll admit I wasn’t good. Being accustomed to well defined graphics, Pong does leave me with a feeling of wanting more, but seeing everyone obsessively playing on their blackberries is a testament of Pong’s timelessness.

I really wish MAME would have worked for me because there are a bunch of games for it that I really would have enjoyed playing. However, there are a ton of games posted on the website where I found the ROMs for the Atari emulator. So as time frees up or as I step away from xbox 360, I’ll have to check more of them out. The website where I found all the games is as follows if anyone is interested: http://www.atariage.com/system_items.html?SystemID=2600&ItemTypeID=ROM

No comments: