Friday, June 20, 2008

MAME and such

Maybe it's that I'm doing something terribly wrong, but I just can't seem to get the MAME application to do much of anything. I downloaded it, and installed it as a .exe, and then… mostly sat there unsure of what to do next. I looked for a README file, but none was to be found, and so a quick travel back to the website and hitting up the FAQ, I managed to be able to get Robby to load, but I couldn’t get it to go beyond the opening screen without getting vertical grey bars of death.

I’d be curious what the game plays out like, especially when I think about it in comparison to one of my favorite sites, virtualapple.org. In some ways, the problem of virtualapple is the same – you need to rely on the quality of the ROMs that you have. Further, how do you actual go about having a proper interface? It isn’t standardized via MAME, unless I’m missing something. I stopped by the FAQ and learned that it seems as though the control can often be specific to the game’s setting, though you can set them.

I stepped through this process, but was still unable, even with help from FAQs to actually even see what the game played like. The process became so frustrating (it was a third attempt), I eventually just gave up, and went and found Oregon Trail. This satisfied me immensely. Life was good again.

No comments: